Ridgebacks by Kat
Poisons/Toxins

Alcoholic Beverages

Alvocado

Antifreeze
is highly poisonous. Unfortunately, dogs actually like the taste of the stuff. Don't leave even a
little on the driveway and never leave an open container where pets can reach it.

Aspirin, in appropriate doses is ok for dogs (not cats), but do not give Advil, Tylenol, or any other pain
killer without specific instructions from a veterinarian.

Batteries

Chocolate
contains theobromine. A naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean, theobromine
increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary
by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.   
Symptoms of Chocolate Dog Ingestion and Poisoning:
You can recognize that your dog has eaten a toxic dose of chocolate from the symptoms. Within the first
few hours, the evidence includes vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity. As time passes and there's increased
absorption of the toxic substance, you'll see an increase in the dog's heart rate, which can cause
arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting.
This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures, coma and even death.
How much is too much?
  • White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to
    cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
  • Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is
    poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar
    contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog.
    Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
  • Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to
    a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
  • Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is
Coffee (all forms of coffee)

Christmas tree preservative

Fatty foods

Human cough/cold/flu medications

Liquid potpourris

Macadamia nuts

Moldy or spoiled foods

Mushrooms
can cause severe illness or death. Try to keep them cleared away from places your dog can
reach.

Oleander, Poinsettias, Mistletoe, American Holly, Acorns and other poisonous plants make puppies
pretty sick, but the quantities eaten are usually not life-threatening.
Some flower bulbs are highly
poisonous and dogs will occasionally be fatally poisoned by eating them.   Most dogs won't do this, but it
has happened.  

Onions, onion powder   

If your dog drinks antifreeze or eats rat poison, immediate treatment is needed. You can induce vomiting
by giving 1/2 teaspoonful (small dog) to 2 teaspoonfuls (adult large dog) of ipecac syrup, but  get him to a
vet right away. It is possible to induce vomiting by pouring lots of very salty water down a dog's throat, but
attempts are usually unsuccessful and merely waste time.

Raisins and grapes

Rattlesnake
bites are rarely fatal to large dogs, but little dogs get a lot more venom in proportion to their
size, and may die.
However immediate veterinarian care is recommended to assess the extent of the poisoning, and
recommended treatment plan.

Salt

Chewing on the toads causes alarming symptoms of salivation and disorientation, but seldom anything
worse. Toad-chewing in Florida and some other places can be much more serious.  

Yeast dough


Do not
try to induce vomiting if petroleum distillates, caustics, or acids have been ingested, if a pet is
having seizures, and/or is not fully conscious.